FLA NEWS: AccessChina'16 highlights from the trade delegation to Shanghai
Thursday, 03 November 2016
AccessChina'16…. We’re back and ready to go again…
We are in the shadows of our return from Shanghai and gathering the loose ends and follow ups is proving a big task. It has been gratifying to hear from many of the participants in how AccessChina ’16 has helped their business – often in ways they did not foresee.
Some highlights from the week include:
- The suitably social flight over; what a great way to fly and many thanks again to the QANTAS team for getting us there in impeccable form.
- To have Chairman of Zhongfu group Mr Wu speak at the Access China conference
- The opportunity to meet with and discuss trade access issues with Assistant Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment Keith Pitt
- Minister for State Development and Natural Resources and Mines Dr Anthony Lynham made a fantastic contribution to the trip
- Having four local government leaders and Mayors on board
- Tourism Australia’s Andrew Hogg and Meat and Livestock Australia’s Michael Finucan talk through their China market learnings and strategies
- Jason Spencer and Darren Burns provided unique and fascinating insights into the Chinese consumer
- Gala dinner at the historic Peace Hotel in their stunning ballroom which was attended by not only the above dignitaries but PACTYL CEO Mr Cai Hao at Shanghai Pudong airport
- A last minute but well worth it addition to the program, visiting the eco farm movement with hosts Chunbo.com – a great story.
- The MOU with the Hangzhou Chamber of Commerce and the TRC Mayor’s side trip to Yuecheng in Zhejiang Province are of great importance for us going forward
- The camaraderie and ties made between delegates cannot be underestimated – this group were part of history and they made the most of the opportunities put in front of them
- Whilst the business matching was somewhere between chaotic and orderly there were some great matches made and more to come
- The aid of Austrade Shanghai and TIQ Shanghai offices as well as AustCham were much appreciated
The media exposure this trip generated cannot be underestimated and to be contacted by the head of MediaCorp from Singapore on the back of the media attention alone is a huge win for the delegation and our region.
Once again many thanks to our sponsors and event partners, without whom the project would not have been able to have taken place: major sponsor Zhongfu Group, and partners ANZ, Asialink Business, EFIC, HopgoodGanim Lawyers and University of Southern Queensland.
A post AccessChina'16 survey is also available to help gather feedback for our continuous improvement and to measure the impact of the trip for the region.
We will be holding a debrief event in the coming weeks and I am hoping many participants still have the energy to complete our exit survey.
Watch this space also for an invite only event with Cathay Pacific as they explain their plans for the forthcoming weekly freight service to Hong Kong.